Our pilot project
Re-imagining the Chicago river
Urban Rivers is facilitating the design and implementation of a park on the east side of goose island consisting of floating gardens, wildlife habitat, and more to be enjoyed by the local community--wildlife and people alike!
Watch the video below to see for yourself
What we strive to achieve
• Build a park that beautifies Chicago's landscape
• Rehabilitate wildlife habitat
• Teach communities about urban rivers
• Help clean the Chicago River of trash and pollutants
• Develop the park from North Avenue to Division Street, one floating garden at a time
Our Partners are experts and influencers
- Patagonia and Whole Foods Market are supporting Urban Rivers through grants and donations.
- MWRD is our research partner, contributing fish survey data for four years to monitor the performance of our installation as fish habitat.
- Epstein Global is our engineering partner and will ensure our successful installation in the Chicago River.
- Kayak Chicago is our local kayak partner, who has been supportive since our early days and will serve as the primary access point for enjoying Urban Rivers’ floating garden by kayak.
- Biomatrix Water is our floating garden supplier and close partner, with years of experience in implementing projects like ours around the world.