Become an Urban Rivers River Ranger
As a River Ranger, you'll perform several tasks, including:
- Reporting on plant health and wildlife sightings
- Removing trash buildup, weeds and invasive species
- Performing scientific tasks to measure the installation's impact on the ecosystem
Do I need to have a scientific background to contribute?
No, as long as you're willing to help, you're qualified. If you happen to be interested in performing research, please contact us saying so.
I'm interested in volunteering, but have several questions/reservations?
If you're unsure if this is for you, please don't hesitate to message our staff – we're happy to chat.
Do I need to know how to kayak?
Kayaking is required. If you do not know how to kayak but are willing to learn, please apply (it's easy).
What are the requirements for volunteering as an Urban Rivers River Ranger?
- Ability to commit 1-2 hours per week, on the same day each week
- Ability to kayak a short distance
- A strong commitment to improving the environment, the city and our mission
- Dependable, reliable (innovative is always a plus)
- Not afraid to get a little dirty
Roles and responsibilities of an Urban Rivers River Ranger.
- Kayak ¼ mile to the project site once a week to:
- Pickup trash at the installation to ensure it continues to look beautiful
- Take plant measurements and input them into the Citizen Science App
- Record any wildlife sightings and input them into the app
- Take photos of the site and send them to our team
- Notify Urban Rivers team members if any problems arise or if anything looks awry