Re-imagining urban rivers
Urban Rivers is currently creating a park on the east side of Goose Island in the Chicago River. As of June 2017, the park grew to 1,500 square feet – we are now fundraising for an additional 25,000 square feet that will be installed in 2018, building towards our larger goal of a half-mile long park by 2020. The floating garden serves as wildlife habitat, an urban agriculture test site and much more, all to be enjoyed by the local community – wildlife and people alike!
What we strive to achieve:
- Improve the water quality and beautify the urban landscape
- Rehabilitate and grow wildlife habitat
- Stimulate the local economy by attracting more people to river-based activities and properties
- Test the feasibility of growing edible plants on the river
- Teach the local community about their urban waterway(s)